Cloud Native London, July 2019 - Suade Labs, SUSE, and Dynatrace
It was a very busy, lively crowd at Codenode for our July 2019 Cloud Native London Meetup!
First up was a talk on CNCF tools, then we went from Code to Production on Kubernetes with Open Source tools, wrapping up with a discussion on Continuous Deployment & Operations on Kubernetes with keptn.
Kicking off our evening, Hubert Bosiacki from Suade Labs shared his experiences with “CNCF tools for SysOps”, explaining that:
- 40 – 90% of the total cost of the product are included after the product is developed and released.
- Containers changing how we’re working, deploying, delivering applications, however, they’re evolving as well.
- Stable tools with stable license help with migration legacy software to modern times.
Next up was Rob de Canha-Knight from SUSE discussing “Code to Production in less than 3 minutes on Kubernetes with Open Source tools”, mentioning that:
- With over a 25 year history, SUSE is the largest independent open source company engaged in over 100 Open Source Projects. More than 50% of SUSE employees focus on development and support. SUSE offers a range of solutions anywhere from Enterprise Linux for mission critical workloads, Software Defined Infrastructure to Application Delivery Platforms.
- One of SUSE’s main offerings in the applications management space is a certified CNCF Kubernetes distribution called Container as a Service Platform (CaaSP), which is an enterprise class container management solution that enables IT and DevOps professionals to more easily deploy, manage, and scale container-based applications and services.
- SUSE also offers their Cloud Application Platform, which is a fully Open Sourced PaaS Platform that can be deployed on top of most major Kubernetes distributions out there enabling an advanced cloud native developer experience to Kubernetes. SUSE Cloud Application platform eliminates manual IT configuration and helps accelerate innovation by getting applications to market faster.
Finally Andreas Grabner from Dynatrace talked about “Continuous Deployment & Operations on Kubernetes with keptn”. His takeaways were that:
- Keptn is an open source project and we are in the process of contributing it to CNCF
- Keptn has a strong focus on automated operations to ensure resilient systems in production environments
- Try it, contribute and give us feedback via @keptnProject, www.keptn.sh and https://github.com/keptn/keptn
Cloud Native London August
The next meetup is on Wednesday 7th August, and joining us are speakers from Conde Nast International, Airbus, and JFrog. RSVP and save the date now! Don’t forget to sign up directly with CodeNode as we get closer to the date!
See you next month!