Cloud Native London October 2020: American Express, Pendo, and Containous
Joining us on Zoom and the YouTube livestream this month, at the October Cloud Native London virtual meetup, were three fantastic speakers from American Express, Pendo, and Containous.
Alex Jones from American Express kicked off our first talk for the evening with a discussion on Open Policy Agent: your passport to enterprise interoperability (starting at 27:31). His takeaways are that:
- Technology organisations often need to communicate with each other with increasing frequency as paths-to-production and delivery pipelines are commoditised.
- Team level agency has meant that communication models have become more automated where processes such as provisioning, deployment, security exemptions and data migration occur many times a day
- Open Policy Agent is a tool that enables policy-as-code to be leveraged and utilised throughout a Kubernetes cluster. It enables various organisational entities to express intent in a common language ( rego ). When taking this a step further and thinking how this can be leveraged, there are already examples of authorised operators reconciling constraint bound resources.
Next up James Charlesworth from Pendo told us all about Using Serverless Today (starting at 52:47). He talked about:
- What is Serverless and why should I care?
- Is it really Serverless vs Containers, or can they work together?
- What are the drawbacks of managed FaaS and what might the future hold?
Finally, after our break we had Kevin Crawley from Containous described Kubernetes Ingress Today and Tomorrow (starting at 1:40:50). His takeaways mentioned that:
- Kubernetes Ingress in its current state is befuddled with annotations and domain specific configuration
- The latest version of KubernetesIngress adds support for extremely common use-cases but still requires many vendor specific annotations for advanced use-cases.
- Traefik will be an early adopter of the new Service API which aims to provide a vendor agnostic API for handling most Ingress service routing use-cases.
His slides can be found (here)[http://bit.ly/cncf-london-traefik-ingress]
And before we close, here’s our usual Zoom group photo!
Cloud Native London November
Our next meetup will be Wednesday 4th November, when we’ll be joined by speakers from Megaport, Sysdig, and Nutanix. RSVP and save the date now!
Stay safe, stay healthy, and see you next month!