Cloud Native London May 2021: Featuring Ververica and DoiT International
We heard from two fantastic speakers from Ververica and DoiT International at our May Cloud Native London virtual meetup, with techies joining us via Zoom, Rambly, and the YouTube/Twitch livestreams.
We are immensely grateful to Tecknuovo, Humio, Palo Alto Networks, CircleCI, and UMATR for your generous support and sponsorship.
Our first speaker was Konstantin Knauf from Ververica, kicking us off for the evening with a discussion on Simplifying Stateful Serverless Architectures (starting at 27:18). He talked about how:
- Serverless provides rapid, fine-grained scalability and easy deployment, but even for moderately complex applications consistency and composition of functions are a challenge.
- Stateful Functions adds consistent distributed state management & messaging for functions deployed anywhere e.g. the FaaS provider of your choice.
- Stateful Functions is a young project under the umbrella of Apache Flink, and it’s a great time to join the community.
After a quick break we returned with Stepan Stipl from DoiT International, talking about How to automatically detect and deal with deprecated APIs (starting at 1:00:48). His takeaways are:
- Be aware of deprecated APIs in Kubernetes, as these can cause unpleasant surprises when upgrading clusters.
- Check if you’re affected, and make sure to upgrade to new API versions before you or your cloud vendor upgrade your clusters.
- You can use Kubent - an OSS tool that automates the detection of problematic resources.
And of course, our usual group photo from Rambly!
Cloud Native London June
Our next meetup will be Wednesday 2nd June, when we’ll be joined by speakers from Helio, Suade Labs, and Kasten by Veeam. RSVP and save the date now!
Stay safe, stay healthy, and see you next month!