Cloud Native London August 2021: Melissa McKay, JFrog and Bruno Andrade, Shipa
Two great speakers from JFrog and Shipa joined us at our August Cloud Native London virtual meetup, with attendees via Zoom, Rambly, and the YouTube/Twitch livestreams.
Our first speaker was Melissa McKay from JFrog kicking us off for the evening with a discussion of Distroless Docker Images (starting at 24:53). She explained that:
- Docker has an interesting history and virtualization is not a new thing!
- It is essential to understand how Docker images are composed in order to build images that are efficient and safe for production.
- Distroless Docker images are one option to help you build smaller and more secure images.
Then Bruno Andrade from Shipa wrapped up our evening by discussing Implementing an application level approach to GitOps (starting at 56:47). His takeaways were that:
- GitOps goes beyond Kubernetes when an application centric approach is taken.
- To be effective, it needs to close the operational loop.
- Focusing on the application can help you improve developer productivity
And of course, a group photo from Rambly!
Our next meetup will be Wednesday 1st September, when we’ll be joined by speakers from Palo Alto Networks, Netapp, and Helio. RSVP and save the date now!
Stay safe, stay healthy, and see you next month!