Cloud Native London May 2023: MetaOps, Jetstack, Diagrid, and Cancer Research UK
Four great speakers from MetaOps, Jetstack, Diagrid, and Cancer Research UK joined us at the May Cloud Native London meetup at the Just Eat Takeaway offices, plus virtual attendees via the YouTube/Twitch livestreams.
We are immensely grateful to Sysdig and for their generous support and sponsorship.
Kicking off our evening was Andrey Kozichev from MetaOps asking Is OpenSource Enterprise APM a reality? (no video available due to technical issues). His takeaways noted that:
- Open source projects make strong competitors to their commercial counterparts.
- Installation, configuration and daily use of the open source tools requires quite a high level of skills.
- There’s no “one fit all” solutions on the observability marketplace. Having multiple tools for monitoring is a norm.
Next up we had Thomas Meadows from Jetstack and Josh van Leeuwen from Diagrid discussing whether [Cert-manager can do SPIFFE? Solving multi-cloud workload identity using a de facto standard tool]https://www.youtube.com/live/CqpMv0GUhjU?feature=share&t=183) (starting at 3:03). He talked about how:
- Cert-manager has solved the problem of certificates and TLS on Kubernetes.
- Authentication is a big problem and the industry needs to move away from the world of api tokens and long-lived static keys.
- SPIFFE aims to solve this problem, and cert-manager can provide a way of using SPIFFE on Kubernetes easily, backed by the power of X.509.
Finally we had David Adegbiyi from Cancer Research UK wrapping up our evening with a talk on Building fundraising software using cloud-native and event-driven architectures (starting at 1:07:55). His takeaways discussed how:
- Some software architectures can be overkill. Event-driven architecture can save resources, time and money.
- Cloud technology has levelled the playing field for organisations that need to think about saving costs as well as accessing the best tools for building software.
- Data thrives through event-driven architectures.
And of course, our usual group photo!
Cloud Native London June
Our next meetup will be on Wednesday 3rd May, when we’ll be joined by speakers from Styra, VirtusLab, and more. RSVP and save the date now!.
Stay safe, stay healthy, and have a great month!