Cloud Native London July 2023: Solo.io, UPSIDER, Inc., and Grafana Labs
Three fantastic speakers from Solo.io, UPSIDER, Inc., and Grafana Labs joined us at the July Cloud Native London meetup for our 6th anniversary! We were at the Just Eat Takeaway offices and also via the YouTube/Twitch livestreams.
Kicking off our evening was Alessandro Vozza from Solo.io, with a talk on Ambient Mesh Networking Deep Dive. His takeaways discussed:
- Learning how Kubernetes networking works at a deeper level and how that behaviour is modified by introducing a sidecar-less service mesh
- What is eBPF routing and how it simplifies and enhances the possibilities for application networking
- Why sidecarless mode is superior in terms of security, resource consumption and simplicity
Next up we had Ryota Sawada from UPSIDER, Inc. telling us how A Midsummer Night’s Multi-Cloud Dream: Crossplane with GitOps is like fairies with magic (starting at 37:40). He talked about how:
- Crossplane is a compelling solution for provisioning cloud resources, especially when combined with GitOps
- As Crossplane heavily relies on YAML configurations, managing all resources with YAML could be difficult and daunting
- You need to pick and choose the right tool that makes most sense for your setup, and combining both Terraform and Crossplane is certainly possible
Check out his slides here.
Finally we had Christian Simon from Grafana Labs wrapping up our evening with a discussion on How you can optimise your applications using(continuous) profiling (starting at 1:20:27). His takeaways explored how:
- Profiling can help you pinpoint inefficiencies in your applications
- With Garbage collected languages always focus on reducing your memory allocations before CPU time
- Not everything that slows down your application is visible in a profile
And of course, our usual group photo!
Cloud Native London August
Our next meetup will be on Wednesday 2nd August, when we’ll be joined by speakers from Coralogix, Cerbos, and Unum. RSVP and save the date now!.
Stay safe, stay healthy, and have a great month!