Cloud Native London September 2023: Styra, Sysdig, and Akamai
Three great speakers from Styra, Sysdig, and Akamai joined us at the September Cloud Native London meetup at SurrealDB’s offices based at Huckletree Oxford Circus, as well as via the YouTube/Twitch livestreams.
Kicking off our evening was Charlie Egan from Styra, talking about Running Policy in Hard to Reach Places with Wasm & OPA(starting at 49:39). His takeaways discussed:
- Web Assembly might enable greater standardisation for policy and other business logic.
- Rego rules can be compiled to Web Assembly.
- OPA policies in Web Assembly can be more performant.
Next up we had Pablo Musa from Sysdig telling us about Understanding Cloud Native Security: Acronyms, Attack Surfaces, and Runtime Protection(starting at 1:22:53). He talked about how:
- Clear Acronym Understanding: Decode cloud-native security acronyms like CSPM, KSPM, CIEM, and CWPP for better comprehension.
- Recognize Vulnerable Areas: Relate acronyms to expanded attack surfaces, helping prioritize protection efforts.
- Practical Defense Strategies: Learn from runtime security insights and Log4Shell attack example for effective threat detection.
Finally we had Alex Chircop from Akamai wrapping up our evening with a discussion on Cloud Native Storage & Stateful Workloads (starting at 2:13:24). His takeaways explored how:
- The cloud native storage ecosystem is booming with many solutions, projects and services in production today!
- Understanding the layers and attributes of a storage service is key to matching solutions to your application requirements - one size does not fit all…
- Take advantage of new operating models using K8s, operators and cloud native storage to help increase the number of use cases and application that can benefit from your investment in cloud native.
And of course, our usual group photo!
Cloud Native London October
Our next meetup will be on Wednesday 4th October, when we’ll be joined by speakers from Kubedemy.io, Kubeshop, and Chronosphere. RSVP and save the date now!.
Stay safe, stay healthy, and have a great month!