Cloud Native London October 2023: Grafana Labs, Amazon, Kubedemy.io
Three great speakers from Grafana Labs, Amazon, Kubedemy.io joined us at the October Cloud Native London meetup at the Just Eat Takeaway Offices, as well as via the YouTube/Twitch livestreams.
Kicking off our evening was Michel Hollands from Grafana Labs, with an Introduction to Loki(starting at 17:17). His takeaways discussed:
- Loki only indexes the metadata about the logs, not the log lines themselves
- Store whatever data you want and derive meaning from it at query time
- Only using object storage makes for great scalability and cost effectiveness
Next up we had Filipp Fediakov from Amazon telling us about Building Self-Service Serverless Data Platform at Amazon(starting at 51:23). He talked about how:
- Building a self-service onboarding for your platform is not just about writing code, but also about designing and modelling the onboarding process in a manner that allows for seamless automation through software.
- Time to deliver software is not determined only by the technical complexity. If a project seems technically simple, it does not mean that you will deliver it fast.
- Event Carried State Transfer pattern can not only simplify implementation of event-driven applications in the early stage but help to easily record history of changes (log of events) for your platform.
Finally we had Saeid Bostandoust from Kubedemy.io wrapping up our evening with a discussion on How Kubernetes Platforms are built: “real-world journey from start to enterprise-grade at scale” (starting at 1:43:48).
We also have an offer especially for our Cloud Native London members: Kubernetes Community Days UK returns for 2023! Kubernetes Community Days UK is returning in-person at CodeNode London on 17th and 18th October. They have an amazing line-up of speakers as well as workshops - see kcduk.io for full details. They’ll also have a jobs board if you’re looking for a new role or have vacancies you’re hiring for. You’ll even have the opportunity to sign up to do a lightning talk on the day! As members of the Cloud Native London community, we have been offered a 25% discount on the ticket price. Please use the link https://ti.to/open-source-events/kcduk2023/discount/KCDUK23_CLOUDNATIVE_25 to claim your discount.
And of course, our usual group photo!
Cloud Native London November
Our next meetup will be on Wednesday 1st November, when we’ll be joined by speakers from Just Eat Takeaway, Civo, and Kubeshop. RSVP and save the date now!.
Stay safe, stay healthy, and have a great month!